Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Recipe Review - Mocha Scones

My Baking Addiction

Today's recipe is from Jamie at My Baking Addiction. This is the first of her recipes I've tried, and these are the first scones I've made. I picked a great first recipe...with a luscious mocha glaze too.



Here's what you'll need (for the scones):
Flour, Sugar, Baking Powder, Baking Soda, Kosher Salt, Butter, Chocolate Chips, Sour Cream, Coffee, & Egg




Here's what you'll need (for the glaze):
Powdered Sugar, Coffee, & Unsweetened Chocolate




Whisk together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.







Grate frozen butter into the flour mixture and mix together with your hands. I chose to grate the butter onto wax paper, then add to the flour mixture. The small chunks of butter you see here I chose to cut rather than grate, because I love my knuckles.






Stir in chocolate chips.





In another bowl, whisk together the sour cream, egg, and coffee until smooth.






 Stir the sour cream mixture into the flour mixture. 





Using your hands, mix together in bowl until dough forms into a ball. Do not over-mix.



Turn dough out onto floured surface and shape (using your hands) into circle or square approximately 3/4 inch thick...may need to flour your hands slightly. Also, I did not incorporate all of the flour you see pictured here...it was just to keep my dough from sticking.





Cut dough into triangles (8)...or if dough is in a square, cut into smaller squares (10), being careful not to scratch your counter top.




Place cut scones onto baking sheet covered with parchment paper.



Bake until golden in color


Melt chocolate in microwave, and prepare glaze by whisking together the melted chocolate, powdered sugar, and coffee until smooth.





 
Drizzle chocolate glaze over scones and let sit until glaze is set (or until you can't wait any longer)!







Easy to make with great texture and taste! I can't wait to try some of her other scone recipes...she has 8 in all! Thank you, Jamie!

*Next day: A few seconds in the microwave warms the scone and softens the chocolate as if it were straight out of the oven. 
My only changes to her recipe:
1) used milk chocolate chips instead of semi sweet chips
2) made glaze a little thicker by adding a small amount of additional powdered sugar


RECIPE: Mocha Scones




No comments:

Post a Comment